BrickMagic: Motorized LEGO Boat Race
BrickMagic: Motorized LEGO Boat Race: “lugnet.events, lugnet.announce, FUT: lugnet.events:
This is a call for participation in a Motorized LEGO Boat Race to be held at BrickMagic – a LEGO Fan event in Raleigh, North Carolina on May 7, 8, and 9, 2010 – Mother’s Day weekend!
I had posted the rules awhile back & they have worked well for us at GFLUG for the past 2 years. I will probably amend the rules a little as it applies to BrickMagic and post the official ones on the BrickMagic web-site.
There will be 2 to 3 different heaps — simple (from one side of the pool to the other), simple (a lap of the pool; back and forth), and advance (around the pool and around obstacles).
There will be trophies and prizes for winners and sinkers — possible categories:
Davy Jones Award for Boat that Sank the Fastest
Doofensmirtz Award for Advanced Boat that Sank Itself
Best Boat Float – Best Themed Boat
Some disclaimers about the boat race:
- Everyone who participates must be an adult & understands the risks to their LEGO motorized boat; that no one will be responsible for water damaged parts, nor any part replacement.
- Everyone around the pool, everyone must exercise caution to not slip — meaning no shoes & maybe wear swim attire, no running.
- There will be zero tolerance for alcohol during the race… afterwards is a different story.
- Disclaimer and rules are subject to change.
If you have any questions, need clarification on rules, or just plan to participate, please send me an e-mail.
Some final thoughts:
- Always remember try out your boat in water before the event.
- Don’t over engineer the problem, sometime simpler is faster.
- Water-proof your electronics! Can’t stress this enough.
- There is a limited range to some LEGO electronics, this became painfully obvious as we maneuvered boats around the pool
BrickMagic Motorized LEGO Boat Race Coordinator